The Fast Food Diet

Fast food, the
word its self brings to mind: salty, sizzling hot, crispy French fries. The
fast food industry and I have a long history. As child, I had two parents that
were employed by McDonalds. I would often inundate my parents with requests
for “Chicken nuggets” (I didn't really fancy their burgers much, except their
chicken sandwiches). As a family we would mostly indulge in fast food meals
during the weekends. After roaming the hallways of the mall, it became
customary to have either breakfast, lunch or dinner at fast food place. Our
family favorites include “El Pollo Loco” and “Carl's Jr's.” We would usually
gather around a family meal which was composed by ten pieces of citrus marinated
grilled chicken, Spanish rice and pinto beans. Our plate also included a small
bundle of warm corn tortillas and fresh “Pico de gallo” (salsa). At Carl's Jr's
each person in my family had different pick. Personally I would order the chill
cheese fries or a Guacamole turkey burger or their chicken tenders with ranch
dipping sauce. I really enjoyed these times with my family, while enjoying our
meals we would have conversations about our week and often crack jokes share
many laughs.

Currently my fast food habits have shifted a bit.
After visiting my doctor, I was banned from all dairy products, spicy, sweet
and sour foods. So when ordering from the menu, I take into consideration my new
dietary restrictions. After having my weight yo-yo up and down the scale last
year, due to stress and the holidays, I decided to really watch my caloric
in-take. I can't promise to completely ban fast food from my life, but perhaps
only eat half of my portions. I don't really rely on fast food; I try to pack
my own lunch to school. The allure of a great bargain may prove effective on
me, with the prices of groceries spiking up from previous years it sometimes
hard to resist. For me, a home cook meal is far more appetizing than a “Big Mac.”
I guess it has to do with knowing what is in your food and taking part in
cooking and preparing it. I like to think about my as self – proclaimed “wanna
- be foodie”.I Often having my mother and aunt have a fit for dirtying a whole
sink with pots, pans, spoons, measuring cups . One thing is for sure,
I enjoy cooking and trying new foods from different cultures. Perhaps this
year I may want to introduce new flavors and embrace a rather healthier diet. I
know the struggles of trying to lose weight, there's no easy way to do it. It's
childish to think that one can take a couple of pills and wake up looking like
super model. Losing weight shouldn’t be exclusively for vanity reasons ( althought most
women think this way), but it should also be with the intent of bettering your
overall health.
I agree! and like how you say is chilish to take diet pillsand think you will be waking up like a super model!...
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to lose weight indeed. I agree that nothing really compares to the things that are homemade.
ReplyDelete